Saturday, January 10, 2009

Nothing like the smell of an artist's studio


Thanks to my darling sister-in-law, Vicki, the smell of artist's oil paint is part of my life again. We are so fortunate to have a new gallery and painting studio here in Johnson County, Kansas. It is called ARTichokes and is located in Mission Farms at 105th and Mission Road in Leawood, Kansas. http://www.artichokeskc.com/. So far, I have taken four classes and have loved every moment, even though I haven't been all that thrilled with my painting! ARTichokes is owned by several women, one of which is Becky Pashia. I am enrolled in one of her classes this month and I think she is wonderful. I think the painting I did in her last session might actually be pretty good considering I painted it. My subject was the Grand Canyon and it was a major undertaking for me, but with Becky watching over me, I must admit, it isn't too bad.

Ada Koch is another instructor at ARTichokes and I took her class as soon as I returned from Sicily. With my trip fresh in my mind and a thousand photos to choose from, I did a painting of a gypsy sleeping on the cathedral steps in Taormina, Sicily. In no way did I come close to showing the classic beauty of this tiny town built on the very top of a mountain overlooking the Mediterranean. I am sure I will return to this subject in a future painting, I just have to promise myself to leave all human beings out of my paintings! Ada is an amazing teacher, and I look forward to taking another of her classes. She has a series of classes on painting as the Impressionists painted. It is loose and free painting, in a very calculated way! Ada has a very clear way of describing what you need to look for, and what you need to paint.

In case you haven't guessed, I am so glad to be back at an easel. And painting at ARTichokes is the way to do it. Not only do they have wonderful instructors, but with your class fee you get the canvas, the paint, the brushes! You don't have to carry all your paints and supplies with you! What a concept!

No comments:

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek
Oil Painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Floral

Floral
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Kansas Storm

Kansas Storm
oil painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Watercolor Collage

Watercolor Collage

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time
48"x36" sculptural painting by Kay Tucker