Saturday, February 14, 2009



Those of who you know me are aware of my feelings for the vineyard. I, of course, am extremely proud of Cindy and Dennis Reynolds, my daughter and son-in-law, who own Somerset Ridge Vineyard and Winery. It isn't just because they are my kids, it's because they are so good at what they do. They have taken acres of farmland and Dennis' dream of making wine, and turned it into a beautiful reality. I have learned from Dennis since that first day, April 1, 1998. He is not only an amazing winemaker, vintner, fieldhand, deliveryman and an attorney, but he is a great father and a great teacher! I don't work in the vines anymore, guess I'm feeling my age. But I still have that amazing feeling come over me everytime I wander down into the vines. The whole wine thing is a miracle as far as I am concerned!

Anyway, Dennis told me I had to watch a movie called Bottle Shock. It is on pay-per-view now. Once again, Dennis was right on the mark! What a great movie! Viniculture is one of the stars, as is humor. Based on a true story, Bottle Shock chronicles the events leading up to the famous 'Judgment of Paris' tastings, told through the lives of father and son, Jim and Bo Barrett. A former real estate attorney, Jim (Bill Pullman) sacrificed everything to realize his dream of creating the perfect hand-crafted chardonnay. His business, however, is struggling, and he's not only trying to overcome differences with his slacker son (Chris Pine), but is also fighting off the creditors. Meanwhile in Paris, unwitting British wine shop owner Steven Spurrier (Alan Rickman) hopes to revive his own failing business by sponsoring a competition which will pit the traditional French powerhouse against the California upstarts. Little did Steven and Jim realize that they were both on course to change the history of wine forever.I recommend it highly! Stay home one evening and enjoy this film.

Now that Valentine's Day is over, I've put away my truffle boxes for now. We featured Port and Chocolate Truffles at the vineyard and at Liquor stores, so I made more than a few!

I wonder what my next project will be.....Oh yes, Art in the Vines!

The date is set, Saturday,June 13th. The list of artists is being compiled now, and it looks like it will be a great show! Art in the Vines is just that. The artists will display their work throughout the vineyard. There will be ART, wine, music and food, a grand way to spend a Saturday afternoon! So mark your calendars to come out and enjoy truly local artists at their best.

------------------------------------------------------------

Panini #3 This recipe is for Becky Pashia of ARTichokes Gallery in Leawood.

Artichoke and Tuna Panini

2 6oz cans imported Italian tuna in olive oil

8 to 12 Marinated Baby Artichokes Hearts

4 large crusty round rolls

4 tablespoons Black Olive Pesto

1/2 lemon (optional)

Drain the tuna. Cut the artichokes into halves or quarters lengthwise. Cut the rolls in half horizontally. Gently remove some of the center of the bread from both top and bottom. Spread the bottom 4 halves with black olive pesto. Top with the tuna and then arrange the artichokes over the top. Next, drizzle some of the juice from the marinated artichokes over each of the sandwiches, then squeeze lemon juice over artichokes if you choose to use it.Cover with the tops of the rolls, then press down on the top of each panini to merge the ingredients. You may grill in the Panini Grill, but it tastes wonderful cold!

No comments:

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek
Oil Painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Floral

Floral
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Kansas Storm

Kansas Storm
oil painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Watercolor Collage

Watercolor Collage

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time
48"x36" sculptural painting by Kay Tucker