Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Thank you for all the messages and inquiries as to where the h*?# I have been since my last posting. My little 91 year old Mother took a tumble and has been in the hospital. She is home now, and hopefully she will stay safe. If you should happen to see her somewhere and she doesn't have her walker....you scold her and tell her "Kay said for you to use your walker!" Chances are she won't listen, but we must try!

Happy St Patrick's Day to you! No. I am not going to give you an Irish recipe. There is enough Corned Beef and Cabbage in the world. I will share a recipe today, but nothing green!

I have fun times planned for Friday night. My dear friends at The Piano Room in Kansas City are saving my favorite table for me and I am meeting some of my Somerset Ridge Painters and their husbands for a great evening. That Master of the Keyboard, Mr Dave McCubbin, will be filling our evening with song. He not only plays the keyboard beautifully, but he sings, too! If you have never been to the Piano Room, you must go. Dave is one of the Treasures of Kansas City! The Piano Room was formerly Inge's Bar, a landmark in the Waldo area.
Unfortunately, the Piano Room does not serve food, but Ginny, the owner, has never frowned at you bringing in your own nibbles to have with her perfectly prepared mixed drinks or a glass of wine! Since I know my "Painters", I am going to take food on Friday. After much thought, I have decided to take an old recipe, a great "take along" kind of appetizer. It is called "Bread Pot Fondue".










Bread Pot Fondue
serves 8

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese                      
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
4 ounces pepperoni sausage, I buy Farmland
1/2 cup chopped green onions
4 ounces can green chilies
1 loaf round bread, top removed and inside   hollowed out. Save top!
1 large bag of Fritos

Chop pepperoni and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Drain.
Mix all ingredients, pour into a hollowed out loaf of bread. Replace top, wrap in foil.
Bake 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
Serve with Fritos.

This recipe travels well and stays hot! I keep it wrapped in the foil and then wrap in in a large towel. I unwrap it when it is time to serve it, surround it with the Fritos and make sure a serrated knife is handy for cutting chunks of the bread (probably the best part!).
So, this definitely not a GOURMET recipe, but it is so simple and so good! One tip...don't use a round loaf of bread that has been stored in a plastic bag. You want a fresh crispy loaf. Here in Kansas City, we have a bread company called Farm to Market Bread. They make the perfect loaf for this recipe! You can find them at all the Hen House Grocery Stores.

Hate to cut this short, but I must go see Mom and then get my taxes done...heaven only knows our "Government" (and I use the term loosely) needs all the money they can get their hands on! By the way, I left several messages for the President and my Congressmen yesterday. The switchboards in D.C. were HOT!
Do you think anyone listens to the messages?????????
Have a great day!

No comments:

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek
Oil Painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Floral

Floral
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Kansas Storm

Kansas Storm
oil painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Watercolor Collage

Watercolor Collage

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time
48"x36" sculptural painting by Kay Tucker