Thursday, May 12, 2011

I just received the nicest message from a member of the Wyandotte High School Class of 1959, we will call her Pat…actually that really is her name. Pat wanted to tell me how much she likes my small water color collages. Isn’t she sweet? I can’t tell you how important encouragement and compliments are to an artist, or a chef for that matter! I just replied to Pat, with a big thank you, and an invitation to our upcoming Art in the Vine
It seems strange that I am not accumulating large oil paintings in the corner of the studio. I would normally line them up against the wall, judging them with a critical eye. I would be checking each painting for necessary touchups. I would be searching for the perfect name/title for each of my babies. Then would come the most painful and difficult procedure….pricing! I have found it much easier to ask a fellow painter, my studio partner, David Gross, to do it for me. He, so far, has been right on. There must be something to his years as a professional artist…..

This year, I have my works spread out on the dining room table! Each in its own black frame, standing there at attention like colorful little soldiers! What a different world I am living in….me, in a miniature gallery….no 30” x 40” oils on canvas….strange….

I suppose I almost believe everything happens for a reason. With that tumble I took on Christmas Day, and the rotten weather we had all winter long, I had to stay at home for what seemed like months. One third of the time I was in my recliner babying my knee under a bag of frozen peas, another third was in my home studio working with the materials I had on hand (thus the watercolors). The last third of my time was spent in my kitchen, trying ideas that had been “brewing” in my mind for some time.

So, today I have a bunch of watercolor collages for “Vines”, a knee that is finally healing, and a new business idea! If you have been to Somerset Ridge Vineyard in the last month, chances are you tasted my specialty shortbread. I have had so many requests to sell my shortbread that I am going to start producing it for the vineyard and several other local businesses! Yes, I know I have been saying “I want to retire” for the last 5 or 6 years, but I do get bored if I’m not busy….so deal with it.

The shortbread should be introduced at the vineyard very soon….watch my blog and the vineyard’s newsletter www.somersetridge.com for the release date! Come on out and party with me!

And don't miss the
 3rd Annual Art in the Vines!
There will be 26 local painters
hanging their paintings in the vineyard!
It is a wonderful day, so mark your calendar now!
June 11th,  11AM to  5PM!
Somerset Ridge Vineyard and Winery
for directions, check the website

No comments:

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek
Oil Painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Floral

Floral
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Kansas Storm

Kansas Storm
oil painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Watercolor Collage

Watercolor Collage

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time
48"x36" sculptural painting by Kay Tucker