Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about Crab Cakes with Remoulade sauce and Corn on the Cob….please don’t ask me why, I haven’t a clue. But the amazing thing is, today I received an email from friend and fellow painter, Nancy, with a video link explaining how to cook “silkless” corn on the cob! I definitely want to share the video with my readers, so I figured I do an entire menu for you.



This is a great summer menu, won’t create too much heat in the kitchen.


This appetizer idea came from a blog I read regularly. It is called TasteFood and you can find it at: http://tastefoodblog.com

Avocado Bruschetta with Balsamic Syrup
Serves 1 to 2

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Sea salt
2 slices French  bread, 1/2 inch thick
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, peeled, partially smashed
1 ripe but firm Hass avocado
Freshly ground black pepper


Combine balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until vinegar reduces by half and has a thick syrup consistency, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.


Preheat oven broiler or grill pan. Brush bread slices on both sides with olive oil. Rub with garlic clove. Toast in oven or on pan until golden brown, turning once. Transfer to a plate.


Trim tip of avocado. Run knife vertically around center of avocado, cutting into flesh until knife meets the pit. Gently twist the avocado open and remove pit. Carefully remove the skin, keeping avocado intact. Thinly slice avocado halves crosswise. Arrange avocado slices on bread, overlapping in an accordion pattern. Brush with balsamic syrup. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and generously season with black pepper.


Next is the salad.
I love this Cantaloupe and Prosciutto Salad

Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups (about 2 oz.) loosely packed baby arugula
1/4 ripe cantaloupe, peeled and thinly sliced
8 slices (3 oz.) thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into pieces

1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved
In a large bowl, gently toss lemon juice, oil, arugula, cantaloupe, prosciutto, salt, and pepper. Top with Parmesan.


Now for the Main Course….don’t you just adore Crab Cakes? I do, and have tried dozens of recipes and loved them all! I don’t think I have ever met a crab cake I didn’t adore. I have used just regular canned crab meat, but the cans of refrigerated crab from the seafood department at the grocery store are much better!

The Best Crab Cakes

1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells
1/3 cup crushed crackers (recommended: Ritz)
3 green onions (green and white parts), finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Dash cayenne pepper
Flour, for dusting
1/2 cup peanut oil
Favorite dipping sauce, for serving


In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and peanut oil. Shape into patties and dust with flour.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes, in batches, in pan and fry until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve warm with preferred sauce.


And, my preferred sauce is Rémoulade Sauce
Rémoulade Sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
5 1/2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley leaves
1/2 teaspoon capers, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped
Salt and pepper


Pulse all ingredients except salt and pepper in food processor until well combined but not smooth, about ten 1-second pulses. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to serving bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve (the rémoulade can be refrigerated for up to 3 days).


Finally….the Corn on the Cob! I was so glad to see this video. I’m not sure I would have tried it if it had just been a written recipe. Seeing is truly believing. Now, I just saw this today, so I haven’t tried it yet. I suspect it will taste far more “corny” and possibly a little of the husk’ s taste will be there. I love the idea of having a small pitcher, like the cream pitcher of seasoned melted butter. Let me know what you think of the procedure and the flavor.


Here is the link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBF6bv4Oe4

For dessert, you choose your favorite. I think I’d whip up a quart of fresh peach ice cream!

No comments:

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek
Oil Painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Floral

Floral
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Kansas Storm

Kansas Storm
oil painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Watercolor Collage

Watercolor Collage

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time
48"x36" sculptural painting by Kay Tucker