Thursday, July 26, 2012

Have you ever wondered if your child heard and understood a very important lesson you tried to teach them? It seems that more often as not, they remember the things you would rather they not remember at all….but occasionally it turns out well.

Yesterday, my youngest child remembered a lesson I taught her many years ago.



Betsy is no longer a child; as a matter of fact, she has two children of her own. Driving lessons are still at least 5 years away for her kids, but yesterday, Betsy suddenly remembered a moment when she was 15 and behind the wheel of my car. We were going to have a lesson on highway driving....her first.


As she pulled onto the highway, I said to her “if a dog runs out in front of you, do not swerve to avoid it.” I explained that at highway speeds, loosing control of the car will end up with us being in a serious accident. Sure enough, within a few miles, a dog ran out in front of the car. Betsy swerved.


It took what seemed like a lifetime for the two of us to get the car under control and avoid an accident that day. I'm sure I scolded her,maybe even said a few  bad  words, once I could speak again. It is a moment both of us remember, even after all of these years.


This morning I received this email from Betsy.
................................................................................................
“I don't want to over-dramatize the situation but...you saved my life tonight. I was driving home from Nashville (in my 3 day old car) and a deer ran out in front of me. I was on a tree-lined, two lane, rural, 45 MPH highway. I had time to contemplate my reaction, but not much. I remembered you teaching me to drive, the dog in Paola, etc. I remembered it all. And I plowed right into the poor thing. But I am 95% sure I wouldn't be emailing you right now had I not learned NOT to swerve.


So, thank you. And yes, my poor 3-day-old car is toast. But it could have been very different had you not taught me that.


Much love and appreciation,


Me”
.......................................................................................................


So, you see, they do listen, they do learn. Thank God.


I suppose this isn’t the time for an absolutely delicious method for preparing a venison roast…..no, I’ll wait on that one.


Drive carefully!


1 comment:

Betsy Campbell-Nanson said...

Well if you DO decide on the venison, I know where to find a (semi) fresh kill. It might be a bit more appropriate for jerky after this heat, but let me know. ;o)

And thanks again for the driving lesson! I hope I get a call from Zoe or Bing one day saying something to the effect of, "So, I know I was a pain, but I guess you really DID know more than me!" Sweet music to a mother's ears that must be! Enjoy it! I probably won't do it again for another 20 years! ;o)

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek
Oil Painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Floral

Floral
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Kansas Storm

Kansas Storm
oil painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Watercolor Collage

Watercolor Collage

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time
48"x36" sculptural painting by Kay Tucker