Monday, July 9, 2012



Poster by Majo!
 First, let me point out that I made yet another error….SURPRISE! In my last posting, I invited all of you to come to my studio in Paola on FRIDAY the 14th…..WRONG! It is SATURDAY the 14th! Thank you Bruce Schlosser for pointing out my REALLY BAD MISTAKE! I’m going to blame this one on my almost broken toe and the heat! So, if you can come to the Studio on Saturday, July 14th, come on! I’ll be there to greet you, I’m making some  appetizers,   Molly’s Table is making an appetizer for us also, and the wonderful people of Somerset Ridge Vineyard will be there with their wines for you to try!

Have you noticed the change in the temperature? It is truly delightful out there....well, maybe not delightful....there is the humidity thing,   
This last week, my dinners were great big glasses of Clamato Juice. With Ice. Once with Vodka. The Baseball All Star Game is here in Kansas City this year. Somehow, sitting in a stadium with the sun beating down does not sound reasonable to me. However, the forecast is saying in the upper 80s for Tuesday! The game doesn’t start until 7 or 7:30….so that is good. I am not a big baseball fan, the Royals have been less than exciting for years now. It just isn't in Kansas City's makeup to spend money on players, so they don't shine like they did back in the 80s. When they won the World Series in 1985,  we had some powerful players. But those were what we call "the good old days",  right? But what do I know? I'd rather go see a good soccer game!
Actually, my favorite thing about sitting at a sporting event, be it baseball, football or soccer, is watching people. I am a true people watcher, complete with the habit of trying to, not only guess what they do, but what kind of food they like.  It fills lots of quiet time between the several exciting moments of the game.  Have you ever tried to figure out what fans will put on top of their hotdogs? Is it mustard, onions and relish ? Or kraut? Do you think it is strange how feeding people is never far from my thoughts?
I personally would find a baseball game far more exciting if they sold Osso Bucco Milanese at the concession stand. I could really enjoy that....or maybe a big bowl of  wonderful Sicilian Penne alla Norma, the national dish of Sicily. And a good Red wine.

Sicilian Penne alla Norma
1 pound penne rigate

Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 large eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup torn fresh basil, plus more for garnish
3/4 cup ricotta cheese

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain pasta; return to pot.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add eggplant to skillet; season generously with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook until eggplant begins to release juices, about 5 minutes. Uncover; cook, stirring, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes (if bottom of pan browns too much, add a few tablespoons water, and scrape with spoon).
4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and 1/4 cup water to skillet; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Toss sauce and basil with pasta; gently reheat if necessary. Top each serving with a spoonful of ricotta, and garnish with more basil.

              I bet  Joe DiMaggio would have approved and Joe Garagiola, Yogi Berra, Roy Campanella...I won't go on and on,  even though I could. Those Italian boys sure could  play ball. And eat!

No comments:

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek
Oil Painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Floral

Floral
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Kansas Storm

Kansas Storm
oil painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Watercolor Collage

Watercolor Collage

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time
48"x36" sculptural painting by Kay Tucker