Thursday, November 1, 2012

Have you ever felt like a complete fool?  I have....just last night. And all because  of Halloween.
It all started about a year ago when the cutest family moved in next door.  Mom and Dad and two of the most beautiful children I have ever see in my entire life! At the time they moved in, I had just gone through my 5th Halloween night without even one cute little Trick or Treat-er. I live in a rather quiet, fairly new area that seems to attract older, more sedate neighbors....so when the little family moved in  next door, I knew that Halloween 2012 would bring costumed, joyful little folks to my front door!

Two days ago I made my way to Target to purchase the candy. I had considered making my sugar cookies, but pictured them smashed into a  crumbly mess in the bottom of their loot bags, so decided to buy candy instead. I bought a giant bag of M&Ms,
Reeses and Snickers. all individually wrapped in bright colors.
Yesterday afternoon I chose just the right basket to artfully arrange the goodies in. I placed it on the table by the front door and Zeus and I sat down to wait for the doorbell to ring.
Right at 5:30, like my Grandmother Ogg's mantel clock striking to announce the half hour, the bell rang. Zeus was off like a streak, so thrilled, jumping with joy at having someone at the door.
I opened the door and there stood my two little, adorable next door neighbors, dressed in beautiful American Indian costumes. Smiles went from ear to ear, light danced in their eyes...oh my gosh, they were so precious!
Zeus greeted them with much vim and vigor, dancing around like a crazy dog, while I reached for the basket of treats. As I turned back towards them, it hit me like a bolt out of the blue! Every last treat in that basket had PEANUTS in them! How could I be so stupid? I asked the two little Indians if either of them were allergic to peanuts.....you guessed it....sadly they looked up at me with such sad little faces and said "yes". I know my face was just as sad as theirs.  How could I do that to children? I know about the allergy to peanuts! Why didn't I think of that at Target? Why didn't I make sugar cookies?
I had intended to take their photograph, but in my sorrow at seeing those two children looking so sad, I didn't have the heart to say "Smile!"
Yes, I feel really stupid!
Today I  am making them a batch of sugar cookies.

No comments:

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy

Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek

Somerset Autumn on Wea Creek
Oil Painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Floral

Floral
oil painting by Kay Tucker

Kansas Storm

Kansas Storm
oil painting by Kay Tucker, Private Collection

Watercolor Collage

Watercolor Collage

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time

Tempo al Tempo....All in Good Time
48"x36" sculptural painting by Kay Tucker